Archive

Archive for June, 2011

Drizzle support for phpMyAdmin – week 5

June 27th, 2011 No comments

This week I was looking at Operations and Search tabs. I checked most functionality and added some Drizzle specific workarounds, so now the Operations page should be fully functional. Simple table searches seem to work fine, but I have yet to look through code responsible for that to make sure nothing strange happens under the hood. While working on that I also improved the original code by removing PERFORMANCE_SCHEMA engine from user-selectable lists and making sure that non-ASCII databases can be correctly renamed.

And now, yet another Drizzle bug 🙂

From the bugs I found it looks like Drizzle may be ready for data processing, but it’s metadata quality should be improved. I hope the next stable release will bring some improvements there.

During the next week I will be concentrating on search functionality and test it along with database and table operations.

notepad
Categories: phpMyAdmin, Summer of Code 2011 Tags:

Drizzle support for phpMyAdmin – week 4

June 20th, 2011 No comments

During this week I finished looking through Structure views and data browsing, there should be no critical errors there. I removed featured that don’t work with Drizzle (eg. views, optimize/repair table). Some things, like Export link, will start working when I actually get to that part of phpMyAdmin code. Part of fixes in these areas was to replace all SHOW FIELDS and SHOW KEYS/INDEX queries with function call that generates proper query for MySQL or Drizzle. You can expect this to fix random parts of phpMyAdmin that I haven’t yet looked at.

This time I struck three Drizzle bugs that can’t be circumvented:

And one thing that fortunately I can do without:

Aside from working on my planned tasks, I also took a look at the new server Status tab and made it work correctly with Drizzle, and enhanced it a little:

  • categories for variables not available in Drizzle are hidden,
  • there’s a new category – “Other”, which shows variables not available through other filters.

For now live charts won’t work on demo server because the AJAX query that updates the chart is broken – I am waiting for a bugfix to be merged to master, so that I can use it in my branch.

Main tasks for next week are Search and Operations tabs.

Categories: phpMyAdmin, Summer of Code 2011 Tags:

Drizzle support for phpMyAdmin – week 3

June 12th, 2011 No comments

It’s time to use the time reserve I prepared when making my schedule – this week’s task will be finished by the end of next week. I got informed that if I hurry up I have a chance of finishing my master’s thesis and taking an exam a bit earlier than I anticipated, so I had to spend a lot of time on preparing for that and will have to spend a bit more in the following week.

I’ve done very little work on phpMyAdmin, but fortunately it doesn’t mean that nothing has changed:

  • I tracked down and fixed a bug that made some actions requiring a valid access_token to fail for me randomly – ‘server’ parameter for AJAX request that loads recent tables list was missing and making auth to fail and regenerate access_token.
  • PBMS detection on Drizzle works correctly.
  • MySQL-specific routine and event lists are no longer loaded when working with Drizzle.
  • PMA_DBI_get_tables_full would fail when reading data on tables in I_S and D_D due to letter case issues – it’s fixed.
  • Added an error on import for situations when no charset conversion library is available because in Drizzle we cannot fall back to “SET NAMES”

On a related note, two bugs in Drizzle that I reported are now fixed. Fortunately they could be circumvented and didn’t affect my work:

Some time ago I made a mistake of allowing phpMyAdmin to change connection collation for Drizzle – after re-checking I realized that this feature got removed due to some concurrency issues. It appears that now it can reimplemented so I filed an appropriate bug in their tracker – Add collation_server variable.

Categories: phpMyAdmin, Summer of Code 2011 Tags:

Drizzle support for phpMyAdmin – week 2

June 5th, 2011 No comments

With my semester nearing its end I didn’t have much time for coding, but I managed to get done with a few interesting things:

  • a new Plugins tab, which replaces Engines in Drizzle – it contains a list of installed plugins, with a list of features (engines, auth methods, functions, system views etc.) provided by each of them
  • created a Drizzle version of phpMyAdmin configuration storage, so all user preferences and other advanced functions are enabled and can work correctly
  • home page got correct wording for when user is connected to MariaDB or Drizzle database – no more indications that MySQL is used when it actually isn’t

In the future I plan to extend Plugins tab with some filtering and/or a second view, to provide a easily readable list of all plugin-provided features from one category.

During the next week I plan to concentrate on getting table Structure tab fully working, along with data browsing. Well, I say “get fully working” but in reality I want to go through all use cases and check whether it behaves correctly with Drizzle, and if it doesn’t – provide necessary fixes.

Categories: phpMyAdmin, Summer of Code 2011 Tags: